A hotel wedding venue that takes all the pressure off! Organising an event can be the most stressful of undertakings, and whether it’s your own wedding or your parent’s 60th anniversary there are many things to arrange, oversee and co-ordinate. Our aim at the Powderhorn Chateau is to take the stress out of organising your wedding to ensure that your special occasion is memorable for all the right reasons.
We can cater for up to 100 people seated. Our 30 hotel suites and one apartment can accommodate up to 70 people. Your guests can relax knowing they have only a short walk to rest their heads once the party is over.
If you are planning an event, we encourage you to visit our enquiries page. By telling us a little about the event you are planning, you will help us to better understand your requirements. We will contact you with suggestions and, if required, confirmation of availability.
Photo credit: Louisa Miller
Our wedding was absolutely amazing thanks to the excellent staff at the Powderhorn Chateau! We were able to organize the entire wedding via email from Melbourne, Australia, thanks to the fantastic advice and help from both Nicola and Louise. We had both local and international guests who commented on how much they enjoyed their stay at the Powderhorn, one of the many highlights being the food at our wedding! We can’t thank you enough for making our day truly unforgettable, both within the beautiful Chateau itself and also around the scenic town of Ohakune. We can’t wait to come back and stay with you again!
Cory and Kellie
Our kitchen offers a superb range of menu and service choices for weddings and special occasions. We boast some of the most comprehensive menu choices in Ohakune and the Ruapehu region.
We have a selection of delectable finger foods which can be served to your guests along with their drinks. For the wedding party, this is a perfect way to take care of your guests while you sneak away with a hamper of your own goodies for the photo session.
In addition to the canapes menu we have a range of platters with options ranging from breads, olives and dips to a full antipasto of deli meats and cheeses.
Our chef can prepare a full buffet for your guests and is happy to help you in customising your selections.
Our restaurants provide numerous set menus at a range of rates to suit all budgets.
We can help you with all the extra details and finishing touches that go into organising an event. We invite you to spend time with our events team to help us better understand your requirements and to co-ordinate the people who are going to make your special occasion all the more memorable.
- Florist – We can recommend skilled florists who create arrangements that your guests will remember. The reception room will be available from early morning if you would like to put your own finishes to the tables.
- Make-up and hair – We will put in you touch with the local experts.
- Photographer – We are able to pass on details for local photographers who know the perfect places to take your images.
- Transport – We can arrange vintage cars or, if you want to make a spectacular entrance, a helicopter flight.
For all occasions
- Music and entertainment – Locally we have experienced DJs with state of the art equipment. We are also able to recommend Bands who have played our venue previously.
- Matterhorn Restaurant & Bar – We offer private usage of the Matterhorn, catering for up to 100 people seated and 300 unseated. Various indoor and outdoor bar areas can be set up for these occassions. This is available year round.
- Powderkeg Restaurant and Bar – A great place to party with your friends, offering a relaxed atmosphere and frequently used for birthday celebrations, stag parties and hen nights.
- Balcony BBQs and Canapés – A wonderful area to host drinks and canapés. The surrounding native bush and the Mangawhero River provide a stunning backdrop for any special occasion.
The Matterhorn Restaurant and Bar has private dining available during the winter months and we can comfortably cater for up to 75 people. Booking in advance is recommended as the Matterhorn is busy over the winter period.